14 April 2011

Young Teachers

Well, I had my learning moment very clearly today. I was sitting in a classroom, with my legs under a desk that only just fit over the top of them. I had two fourth grade girls explaining new words from other countries to me. Back to school I guess...

I have found that I really love doing volunteer work. As much as I want to say that I do it because I "love to help others," as the standard response would go, I do volunteer work selfishly. Is that even possible? I do volunteer work because I like to feel busy, I like to be productive, basically because it keeps my mind alert. I have met so many wonderful people and had so many exciting experiences through volunteer work that I can't say I do it for other people because I have gotten so much out of it for myself. Currently, I am leading a Girl Scout Troop of third and fourth grade girls with a friend of mine. We've been with these girls since the beginning of this school year, so at this point, we know them pretty well.

One of the badges that we have been working on is teaching them about world cultures other than their own. After my co-leader read them a story about paper cranes in Japan (which I learned is Japan's national sign for peace, thanks to another teacher today!) we let two girls talk about experiences they had had with cultures that were new to us. One girl talked about spending her summers in Egypt with a relative. After an interesting description of the turmoil that happened just recently in Egypt, she began to explain how frustrated she got when she was not allowed to walk on the grass, ever. I'm not sure how much of what she described were just rules that were set for her by her family and how much came from a cultural/environmental practice. She even went so far as to explain that while the people in Egypt were protesting, they all stayed on the pavement and off the grass. It is interesting to see how a child uses her experiences with what she sees on TV.  After her explanation of the culture, she taught us how to say "let's go," (YaLLah) "goodbye," (ma'a salama) and "thank you," (shokran). After she finished, another one of the girls talked about her father's family, who was raised (I think) in Algeria. She taught us a little bit of Arabic and some French. I wish I could describe what she talked about, but unfortunately I had to chastise some other girls for being rude and not listening. Ironic, that by scolding them I was then doing what they got in trouble for.

While going back and trying to remember all of the words that the girls taught me today, I realized that doing a Google search is how I get a great deal of my information. I'm not sure if this means that I should be thankful that I have that resource or if it means that I should be more careful, double checking my information with more educational sources. (AKA not Ask.com or Yahoo Answers) I'm even skeptical when I use Wikipedia. (even though I swear by it!) Not because I'm worried about getting incorrect information (I'm actually convinced that an encyclopedia that is edited by the public on a regular basis will ALWAYS be more up to date and correct than an old dusty encyclopedia on a library shelf.) but because I'm afraid that other people won't trust me as a reliable source if they find out that I use Wikipedia. I don't know, what are your thoughts on Wikipedia? I know my teachers always warned against using it, but I think that it is a fantastic jumping off point if you just need to know the basics about something. Along the same lines, what qualities do you look for in a person before you consider them to be a reliable source of information?

6 comments:

  1. MF I just wrote the longest comment ever and then Google said it could not process my request >:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. But that one worked? Eff. Okay. Whatever. All I was saying was that in library school we talk about source authority all the time.

    Wikipedia is statistically pretty accurate but still not authoritative. But like everyone uses it for ready reference (questions with simple factual answers). It's not bad for a jumping off point either, especially from home. In a library, something like a LibGuide or more specific source is better. Like if you want to know about frogs, the Encyclopedia of Life or a science database. But most of those resources aren't available without a subscription, which pretty much only a library would have. So if you're doing serious research, go to the library! But if you're just curious about shit, Wikipedia's fine, especially as a jumping off point like you said.

    In terms of evaluating personal authority, IDK. I tend to take people at face value unless something they say sounds whack (like, say, Egypt having the same president for 80 years). And I know what friends of mine are experts in certain topics and ask them questions in those areas. Which, library studies show that people are more likely to get answers from people with whom they have a personal connection. (Ideally this would be a friendly librarian! But not always the case.)

    Anyway, if anyone tries to give you shit about using Wikipedia tell them that community-created content is here to stay and it represents the sharing of knowledge for the common good. That'll make them feel bad.

    Oh and PS yes, Z is from Algeria. She was mostly kind of rambling about what her family members are like, you didn't really miss anything scintillating TBH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes sorry for writing a novel in your comments. Like I said I talk about source authority A LOT at school so it's on my mind.

    Also I was struck too by what A was saying about Egypt and the grass. But I do remember that in news coverage of the protests they always made a big point about how clean the protesters were and how the streets looked better after the protests than they had before. They were taking pride in taking their country back.

    Though I think she went there before the protests so maybe they are just anal about grass there, IDK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAIT. It said it published my comment but I don't think it did. Luckily this time I copied and pasted it. God. Sorry if this goes through like 100 times now. I just want to talk about libraries and Wikipedia!!

    Wikipedia is statistically pretty accurate but still not authoritative. But like everyone uses it for ready reference (questions with simple factual answers). It's not bad for a jumping off point either, especially from home. In a library, something like a LibGuide or more specific source is better. Like if you want to know about frogs, the Encyclopedia of Life or a science database. But most of those resources aren't available without a subscription, which pretty much only a library would have. So if you're doing serious research, go to the library! But if you're just curious about shit, Wikipedia's fine, especially as a jumping off point like you said.

    In terms of evaluating personal authority, IDK. I tend to take people at face value unless something they say sounds whack (like, say, Egypt having the same president for 80 years). And I know what friends of mine are experts in certain topics and ask them questions in those areas. Which, library studies show that people are more likely to get answers from people with whom they have a personal connection. (Ideally this would be a friendly librarian! But not always the case.)

    Anyway, if anyone tries to give you shit about using Wikipedia tell them that community-created content is here to stay and it represents the sharing of knowledge for the common good. That'll make them feel bad.

    Oh and PS yes, Z is from Algeria. She was mostly kind of rambling about what her family members are like, you didn't really miss anything scintillating TBH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovin' the new blog!

    Remember when we learned all about Russia in Girl Scouts? That awful Russian tea and delicious Russian cookies? I miss those days.... I was talking with my students a few weeks ago about coffee can ice cream; they'd never heard of it. I have been trying to think up a math lesson that could go with it, because I think everyone at some point in their life needs to make coffee can ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved those cookies! I remember we had like 8 gallons of that tea left over! As for ice cream math, you could have them do logic problems. I just Googled "ice cream math" and got this link:

    http://math.about.com/od/weeklyproblem/ss/icecream.htm

    But I agree, coffee can ice cream is the greatest thing ever. I'm trying to figure out a way my Girl Scouts can do it before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete