18 April 2011

Self Confidence = Lack of Disappointment

For those of you who don't know, I really want to be a middle school teacher. I have my degree and now I'm just looking for the right job. Today, I had an interview for a position that would be perfect for me. I walked in and gave it my all. It was probably the best interview I have ever had. (And that's saying a lot. Finding and interviewing for jobs is almost a hobby for me.) Later, when my husband was asking me how everything had gone, I started talking about how great it was, that I had really given them a sense of who I was, and what I wanted to do with the teaching position. After going on and on and on about awesome I would be at this job, I realized that if I didn't get the job I would be O.K. with that. Obviously, I would be disappointed. But, if I gave my best interview and was able to truly communicate all of my skills and they still didn't want to hire me, that job probably isn't for me.

I started to think about that in broader terms. It's almost like a math equation.

(I'm good for the job)+(They know all about me)=(They hire me)
or
(I'm not good for the job)+(They know all about me)=(They don't hire me)

O.K. so it isn't quite like a math equation. Give me a break. I'm an English person.
But either way, if they don't hire me, we are all probably better off.

In this situation, I'm lucky enough to also have life experience to pull from. Last summer, I was hired for a job that I was perfect for, however the people who hired me did not communicate that everyone else who worked there had an ENTIRELY different style of approaching things than I did. I quit the job as soon as I could because we all tried to keep our relationship professional, but when you disagree with someone so fervently, it is hard to avoid confrontation. So, if the principal who interviewed me today doesn't think I would fit with the way everyone else works, I don't want the job. I'm learning to trust the judgment of other people. This one is difficult for me because I have always been a "let me see for myself" type of person. I have made more mistakes because I didn't listen to the advice of someone smarter than me. (aka my husband) Hopefully I am smart enough to sit back and listen to others for a while.

Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment